Skip to content
Skip to main menu
- Is Aging a Disease? June 24, 2020 - The first depiction of humanity’s obsession with curing death is The Epic of Gilgamesh—which, dating back to at least 1800 BC, is also one of the first recorded works of literature, period.
- A Doctor Speaks Out about Ageism in Medicine March 24, 2020 - Society gives short shrift to older age. This distinct phase of life doesn’t get the same attention that’s devoted to childhood.
- Starving Seniors: How America Fails to Feed Its Aging September 13, 2019 - Army veteran Eugene Milligan is 75 years old and blind. He uses a wheelchair since losing half his right leg to diabetes and gets dialysis for kidney failure.
And he has struggled to get enough to eat.
- Bucking Ageism in Philanthropy November 6, 2018 - There are a lot of problems in the United States. Take the fact that our country is aging. By 2035, Americans 65 and older will outnumber kids for the first time in our history...
- What’s Missing in Philanthropy? October 8, 2018 - Every year, American grantmakers donate tens of billions of dollars to nonprofits, to help make the world a better place. Yet only 1 percent of those dollars goes to aging-related projects...
- Margaret Morganroth Gullette: Revolutionist against Ageism April 20, 2018 - Ageism did not end with the 20th century. But there were hopes. Feminism had brought changes for women, rights movements had brought changes for black people and disabled people, and the—well, there was no widespread, organized movement for older people.
- Don’t Deny Your Age—Celebrate It! March 7, 2018 - Recently someone asked me if I would participate in a talk called "Don’t Let an Old Person Move into Your Body." I thought about it for several days, and then I declined.
- Marc Agronin: There’s Power in Growing Old January 21, 2018 - Marc Agronin, MD, knows old age—as much as a 51-year-old could anyway. In particular, he knows difficult old age.
- What’s a New Word for ‘Old’? January 10, 2018 - Warren Wood is old. He’s proud he’s old. He advertises the fact that he is old by wearing a cap that says UFO in red letters. “What’s UFO?” people ask. “United Flying Octogenarians,” Wood, 86, of Carmel, CA, happily responds.…
- How to Challenge Ageist Language January 10, 2018 - For people sensitive to words and the connection of words, beliefs and behaviors, the last linguistic battle was probably against sexism in language—the so-called “generic he,” the misuse of “girl,” the exclusionary words like “chairman” and “statesman,” the rise of “Ms.” as a title.
- Blame the Man, Not His Age April 4, 2017 - It started well before the stunning 2016 election. Politico’s Michael Tortorello asked in a February 28 posting, “Is Donald Trump Too Old to Be President?” As his birthday loomed in June, USA Today’s Bill Sternberg posted, “Trump at 70, Just the Way He Is.”
- New Laws Block Little Fraud—But Many Older Voters April 4, 2017 - Much of the reporting about the voter ID laws many states have passed in recent years has centered on how they often block access to the polls by lower income, minority and naturalized citizens. But a subtext has been the barring of many older people from their right to vote.
- Of Wicked Witches and Wise Men: Older Characters in Children’s Books April 4, 2017 - The beloved aging king and the old hag; the silver sage and the wise woman; the doddering old fool and the spinster sisters; the venerated grandpa and the irreverent great-aunt; the wicked old witch and the beautiful young queen.
- Are Some People Too Old to Be President? April 4, 2017 - Ageist comments have been made about two leading 2016 presidential contenders so far—both of whom are older than what is considered to be the middle-aged bracket.
- You May Live Longer Than Your Parents—but You’ll Be Considered ‘Old’ Much Sooner April 4, 2017 - The cruel irony in American culture: we're living longer, but stereotypes about decline begin earlier.
- Want to Live in a Great Place? Find an Age-Friendly City—or Town March 28, 2017 - Among other things, an age-friendly community is walkable and safe, with opportunities for older people to find a job or volunteer, and to connect with others.
- The Power of Positive Aging March 28, 2017 - Do you feel good about growing older? If you do, you may very well live longer than those who dread old age. This good news (or bad news, depending on how you feel about aging) emerged from a study done…
- A Stranger Just Called her ‘Sweetie.’ How Does She Feel? March 27, 2017 - The language used to describe aging, the way people talk to and about seniors, matters. Ageism can hurt your health, research shows. Shedding negative stereotypes and embracing positive attitudes now can help make life better as you get older.